Sunday, January 15, 2006

Farewell Meyjitte


Zelda was right.

According to Graham Phillips in today's Sunday Tas, Meyjitte Boughenout has left our shores for the Gold Coast. For good, it seems.

If I was to live only one more day, my last meal on earth would be that prepared by Meyjitte last year at Franklin Manor in Strahan (see review May 2005). But Franklin Manor has been sold and Q1 has opened its flagship restaurant, Absynthe, with Monsieur Boughenout at the helm.

More than a chef, in my mind Meyjitte had become something akin to a super-human god. I clung to the promise that he could run Absynthe in Surfers Paradise's sky-high heaven, while simultaneously running a magical restaurant in Hobart. A restaurant that would command waiting lists several months long.

But alas, as many have suspected, I am deluded.

Sigh. Heart is breaking. A great loss.

Farewell Meyjitte, and thank you,
Georgie. xx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww bummer. Sorry I had to be right!
:-(
Cab Sav to drown your sorrows?

Anonymous said...

Buck up Girl - its not all bad!

Its quicker and cheaper to get to QLD than Strahan - and you don't get car sick on the way.

Cheers

Jack